Have you ever felt like your hours and days are spent doing things that aren’t beneficial for you? I certainly have. I’m sure we all have. But, when I sort through and analyze how and where I spend my time, I realize that even the time I’ve spent on some mundane tasks or my self-inflicted distractions have had merit. Everything, in it’s own way plays a role in our lives. It’s up to us how we play that role.
I’ve been reflecting on this of late, because I’ve been feeling a shift happening in my life right now. I feel a creative surge and energy, fueled by ideas and the technology available to bring them to life. I’ve gone through many creative surges as well as the times when I didn’t have a single creative thought or idea. I’ve learned not to try and buck those tides, but rather go with the flo and recognize it all serves your “purpose”. Here are some things I do to get back “on purpose”:
- Connect with an old friend. They’ll remind you of who you are.
- Get away from electronic devices and do something simple – sit by a fire or on a beach, look at the clouds, let my imagination take over.
- Go with the creative energy when it is present. I have been working on a redesign of our company’s website and have been frustrated by it, excited and totally energized – stay tuned.
- Have conversations with people. Nothing formal or forced. The best ideas and observations come up organically.
- Find interesting stories. I love stories – whether I read one in a book, watch one play out in film or listen to one on the radio. A good story provokes thought and that leads to a million possibilities.
- I don’t stop myself from making a decision because I’m afraid it won’t be the right decision.
- I remind myself that I’ve made a lot of decisions that didn’t seem like the right ones at the time……but they led me to the right path.
- I listen to music.
- I pay attention to small things that most of the time I barely notice.
- I remind myself, I’m not here long and to make the most of it.